Fate of Io
Rival-Ultimate Test to the Player
2004/10/29 01:29:00 PDT by Bluewindz [0/1]

Having an enemy rival who basically have the same powers as you will be innovative and challenging and it'll add to the story line. The Rival will continually level up with time. He will consistently level up, whether the player does more story-line side quests or hard core leveling himself.

Thoughts?

2004/10/29 08:38:07 PDT by Temporal [manager]
[Temporal's avatar]

Well, first of all, in games that involve the ability to gain experience and level up, I have always been against the idea of enemies who level up with you. I say this because lots of leveling is sometimes the only way that unskilled players are able to complete the game, and when the main point of a game is the story and not gameplay, being able to complete it is important.

But then, I don't think we really should have a traditional levelling-up system in FoI. Since gameplay is based around puzzles and tactics, not raw numerical ability, I just don't think there's a place for such numbers in this game.

That, of course, doesn't mean we couldn't have a "rival" like you suggest. The main problem I see, though, is that the story is already outlined and no such rival exists. I don't really think a major story element like that could be so easily hacked in at this point.

So, interesting idea, but I don't think it would really work for this game.

2004/11/11 18:09:35 PST by Davy boy2000b [0/13]
[Davy boy2000b's avatar]

So far the most part of a 'levelling up' system we have is our elemental ring...

Which to be honest is pretty cool :P

The rest should be things like strength and lung capacity. Things that would happen in 'real life'. Things like 'health points' are silly because the only actual upgrade of HP would be armour grade.

2005/05/09 19:58:21 PDT by BioKupo [0/0]

Also having a rival who levels up with you isn't as "innovative" as you seem to think.
The first example that comes to mind is pokemon....

2005/05/17 20:55:30 PDT by Aetrus [0/15]

Well the monsters in FF8 leveled with you to a point. I liked that. Then you had the islands closest to heaven and hell where they were all at 100. Great places to level. I did so after I had Odin and would pray I'd get a Zantetzuken or whatever to kill the monster. You'd get mad experience and do nothing. If not I'd be hard pressed to survive the fight. (most of those guys would wipe the floor with me)

As to the rival idea we do sort of have that in the Triumvirate, but we'd have to watch the implementation storywise or risk having a Turks rip off. (FF7)

It wouldn't be hard to set up a small subplot with Rheya and the Tekno mages (or whatever). We could have her be a former/current member of an elite team that is eventually dispatched to take down Syne & Co. (not like the Turks though) by Muriel. That would give Rheya a major choice and introduce an element of crisscrossed loyalties. (who's side is she really on?) I don't know. It's been a while since I read the script so it may not even be heading that way. Still some food for thought.

2005/05/18 06:17:01 PDT by BioKupo [0/0]

hmm, never thought of it that way.

Not a bad idea, but the risk of a rip-off would be hard to avoid.

Meh, i dunno :p

2005/05/18 09:55:25 PDT by Temporal [manager]
[Temporal's avatar]

Guys, this whole point is moot. Our game doesn't involve levelling up.

2005/05/18 17:23:17 PDT by BioKupo [0/0]

yes, but it could be used to see how your tactics are improving.

If you've ever played the game herdy gerdy you'll see, as the game gets further in, you have to learn better tactics etc. And then every now and then you'll get a "tournament" type thing. If you haven't mastered the new tactics given to you, then you won't be able to continue.

Just a thought ^^

2005/05/18 20:16:34 PDT by Aetrus [0/15]

In regards to levelling up I was only talking about FF8. The rest of my post as you no doubt read, was about the rival idea as a plot point rather than a levelling point.

fateofio.org © Copyright 2001-2005 Sam Pierce, Kenton Varda, and contributors