Fate of Io
Enemy Quantity = Constant?
2004/11/12 07:06:23 PST by mystik3eb [0/43]
[mystik3eb's avatar]

I had an idea recently that may have been made already, I can't remember. It made me think of Diablo when FoI characters would be crossing over the world map (or whatever we're gonna have between main locations). Does that make sense? I was thinking not only of the fighting being much like that, very transition-less, since we seem to be pushing for fewer-to-no transitions, but also maybe even having a set amount of baddies, which is more realistic, actually, and being able to walk past them laying where they were killed, you know?

Basically I'm saying we could have a set amount of enemies in the game outside of the story progression. Now this doesn't leave much room for levelling up per-say, but that may work in our favor if we don't have to worry about that as much anymore. I'm not sure the difficulty/complexity of this kind of thing programming-wise, but hey, it's the first idea in a little while, something to get my mind off politics and school for a little bit =)

2004/11/13 16:26:26 PST by Temporal [manager]
[Temporal's avatar]

That more or less sounds like what I was going for. Though, if significant time has passed (in the story) then new enemies would probably populate the area... but, yeah. You wouldn't be able to just sit and wait for more enemies to appear.

2005/01/19 08:36:29 PST by Captain Vimes [0/13]

Are we going for a Secret of Mana style over map, though with more balanced respawn rates?

2005/01/19 09:00:24 PST by Temporal [manager]
[Temporal's avatar]

In SoM, monsters respawned as soon as you left the scroll area. Since we won't have transitions, that rule wouldn't really work for us. This is a pretty small game detail, though, and there's no point in deciding it now. We'll figure it out once we have a better idea of the game mechanics...

fateofio.org © Copyright 2001-2005 Sam Pierce, Kenton Varda, and contributors